Friday 7 February 2020

RIP Sharon the Ex-battey hen


Early last year I rescued two ex battery hens - Sharon and Norma.
I knew what I was getting myself into when I rescued them. Ex batts rarely live for very long - they tend to die of heart attacks very suddenly or become egg bound and have to be PTS. I have rescued many ex battery girls over the years. None of them have lived for longer than a couple of years.

Norma died around two months ago - she just went to sleep in the coop and didn't wake up.  This morning I found that Sharon had done the same.

Despite having lost these two fiesty red heads, I do not feel sad. I am so glad that I was able to rescue them and give them a nice retirement home; free range with the sun on their backs. They didn't truly start living until they came to me and I am grateful for that.

I am now down to only 5 chickens, but I'm sure there will be more rescue hens in my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment