Monday 11 March 2019

Crufts 2019


Wow!
Where do I start?!

We went to Crufts this weekend and somehow Peggy placed as Reserve Puppy Bitch in her class.
To say I am delighted is an understatement. I never believed that we would even get to Crufts; the biggest dog show in the world, let alone place!

Peggy was an absolute darling all day and whilst I was concerned that she would be worried by the crowds she took it all in her stride and was incredibly calm and well behaved. Peggy was not the 10 month old wild puppy that I know and love; she seemed to know that she needed to work hard and that is precisely what she did.

Chris and Mark from Briggsys Dog Grooming salon in Barnstaple prepped her for me and even did my own hair which was quite funny and drew several comments from spectators 😂

Within the ring she moved like a dream and the judge commented that he loved her head and expression, which filled me with pride.
Stacking her was quite funny because my hands were shaking so much I couldn't hold her tail properly!

I couldn't believe it when we placed. I wanted to cry but there were so many people watching I held myself together and waited until this morning when I was home.

I still feel completely overwhelmed and bursting with pride. I am one lucky poodle mama!

Below are a few pictures and videos from the day - thank you to those who took them. I really appreciate it.







There is also a video of Peggy and I in the ring:




I also want to add some pictures of Peggy less than 12 hours before the show - enjoying a muddy run at Edgbaston Resevoir and having cuddles with my niece on the sofa. My dogs all live very real lives and show dog or not, it is still important that they are mentally and physically stimulated. Peggy was absolutely caked in mud and dog slobber from an enthusiastic mastiff just a few hours before appearing at Crufts - which in my opinion is exactly the way it should be!




I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who came and spoke to us and supported us yesterday. To those who took photographs and videos and obviously to my super talented groomers.
I'm sorry to those I didn't get chance to chat with - as I'm sure you are aware it was manic.

I think it's also important to say my piece about the negatives of Crufts; well moreso some of the attendees.
I had several people walk up and either grab at Peggy, or get in her face or try to stroke her and flatten her coat down as she was being groomed. This is NOT ok and made me quite angry.
Please can I ask that anyone attending Crufts or any other dog show simply asks before interacting with other people's dogs. Remember that they are someone else's pets and their pride and joy and respect that. It is a long day for any dog, but especially for a puppy. Getting in their faces and grabbing at them as they walk past may not only scare them and impact on their performance in the ring (and beyond) but may also earn you an injury.
I saw several interactions with other dogs yesterday where people were almost asking to be bitten.
Not all dogs at dog shows are relaxed and calm nor are their owners. I had to tell several people off yesterday unfortunately. This is not in my nature but my dogs safety and comfort will always be my top priority.
I hate to end on a negative note - my post is by no means intended to be negative. More of a plea.

I'm sure that there are going to be lots more photos and videos to follow but after a full on weekend and driving 600 miles, I'm shattered and just need a pyjama day with the poodles.

And honestly I still cant believe it!



No comments:

Post a Comment